When the Second Exalted March struck, the Emerald Knights led the battles against the human forces; but in the end, all perished. Their legend endures as remnant of a time when the Dales belonged to the elvhen alone.
When an elf swore themselves to service as an Emerald Knight a tree was planted in their honour in the Emerald March as a symbol of their oath. When an Emerald Knight died, their remains were interred at Din'an Hanin. They rode halla into battle and fought alongside wolf companions known as the Knight's Guardians.
The actions of several of the Emerald Knights played a major role in triggering the Exalted March on the Dales. Elandrin, one of the knights, fell in love with a human woman, Adalene, who lived in the Human village of Red Crossing. Knowing he would have to swear himself to the Maker to reside with her outside of the Dales, Elandrin willingly agreed to do so, reasoning that Maker was just as absent as the elven deities and so his 'worship' was irrelevant in either case. The other Emerald Knights realized Elandrin's intentions and, assuming his change of loyalty meant he would reveal their secrets to the humans, sent a squad of Knights, led by Elandrin's sister Siona, to Red Crossing to retrieve him, where they encountered Adalane waiting for him.
Adalane caught sight of Siona, and mistaking her for Elandrin, ran toward her, only to be shot by Siona. The men of the village heard Adalane cry out and came to investigate. When they noticed the Knights, they immediately attacked, but stood no chance against the elves. Elandrin finally arrived after the fighting had stopped, and moved to embrace Adalane's body, where he remained until human reinforcements arrived. Finding only dead humans and a bloody elf, the humans had no interest in an explanation, and immediately shot Elandrin, later disposing of his body in a nearby river.This descent into armed conflict between humans and elves became the final catalyst for the Exalted March.
Notable Emerald Knights Edit
- Briathos helped keep the Chantry missionaries and templars away from the Dales border. A section of the Exalted Plains is named after them.
- Elandrin was one of the main parties involved in the events of Red Crossing.
- Lindiranae was the last to wield the blade, Evanura, and the last of the Emerald Knights to fall during the Second Exalted March against the Dales. When Halamshiral fell to Orlesian forces, she was at the helm of the last desperate resistance mounted in the Exalted Plains. Here she faced the Orlesian Champion, Ser Brandis of Lac Celestine, and refused to yield. In the end, however, it was not Brandis' blade that killed her, but an arrow fired by another soldier.
- Mathalin is believed to have been the first Emerald Knight, and the first to wield the legendary sword, Evanura, forged specifically for him by the High Keeper of June.
- Nomaris was one of the last of the Emerald Knights whom survived the Exalted March on the Dales.
- Sulan was Mathlin's young squire. Mathlin bestowed Evanura on the boy after he saved the older knight's life during a battle.
- Vaharel was responsible for leading the successful invasion of the city of Montisimmard during the Second Exalted March.
See also EditHelm of the Emerald Knights
Requires: 22 strength
+239 nature resistance
Immunity to flanking
Ring of the Emerald Knights
+5% critical damage
+3% physical damage
+3% magic resistance
The fabled elven smith Tanaleth of Halamshiral once made bows for the Fade Hunters, those Emerald Knights tasked with protecting the Dalish kingdom from maleficarum and demons.
Requires: Level 20
+16 Cold Damage
+14% Barrier Damage Bonus
One of the most famous elven heroes of the Towers Age was Wenna di Ladia of Nevarra, descendant of the last Emerald Knights who guarded the Dales. She took up her grandfather's bow during the Third Blight, inspiring the Thedosian armies with her beauty and skill. Afterward, Wenna fell afoul of Free Marches rulers when her name launched alienage revolts. She fled criminal accusations, into obscurity, but her legend survives among city elves.
Requires: Level 16
+9% Critical Damage Bonus
2% chance to use Shield Bash on a hit
Codex entry: Epitaphs for the Lost
Codex entry: Knight's Guardian
Codex entry: Memorials of the Second Exalted March
Codex entry: The Death of Elandrin
Codex entry: The Emerald Knights
Codex entry: Knight's Guardian
Codex entry: Vallasdahlen
- ↑ from a dialogue with Solas
- ↑ Codex entry: Knight's Guardian.
- ↑ Description of Dhal Vallasan
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Codex entry: Vallasdahlen
- ↑ Codex entry: Memorials of the Second Exalted March
- ↑ Codex entry: The Silver Knight
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Evanura
- ↑ Codex entry: Vallasdahlen