Unlike most companion quests, this one can be completed during Act 1 or Act 2.
Head towards the Kirkwall Chantry in Hightown, before the Chantry board: a cutscene will play. It will show Sebastian posting a notice on the Chanter's Board offering coin in exchange for the deaths of the mercenaries that killed his family. Read it and accept the quest and head to the Docks (Night), Sundermount, and Wounded Coast areas.
You can do these areas in any order you choose, however it is easier if you head to that area when other quests lead you to it.
- Docks (Night) - When entering from the north, the first alley on the right.
- Sundermount - Just around the corner when entering from the World Map.
- The Wounded Coast - Take the first right, and then follow the next path on the right.
Once all 3 groups are dead, head back to the Chantry and talk to Sebastian to complete the quest.
Sebastian will reward you with 4 and you will also receive 400xp for completing the quest.
The Flint Company Mercenaries drop the following items:Flint Company Cuirass
Requires: 20 dexterity
+5% critical chance (looted from the Sundermount group) Meghan Vael's Locket
+184 fire resistance
+184 cold resistance (looted from the Wounded Coast group)
Completing Duty leads to the Repentance companion quest, which is available in Act 2, if you are already in Act 2, you may play it immediately.
- The Flint Company mercenaries share spawn points with certain groups of enemies. In situations where the spawn point has not been previously cleared (very likely with the Wounded Coast, as with the DLC installed it is easier to end up unlocking the location via this quest rather than the more "vanilla" route i.e. through a main quest or the ambush in Blackpowder Promise, after completing Long Way Home), the Flint Company mercenaries take precedence. Defeating the mercenaries and completing the quest allows the area to reset, allowing the original occupants to return and be slain (except in cases where the conditions for Terror on the Coast were fulfilled, see Bugs).
- The mercenaries will incur a great boost in power and health between Acts 1 and 2. Their positioning in the Sundermount and Wounded Coast encounters also change between acts, necessitating a change in approach. Thus, it is best that the player dispatch the Flint mercenaries before leaving on the expedition, so as not to unnecessarily encumber this prerequisite for Sebastian's recruitment in Act 2.
- If the conditions for Terror on the Coast were fulfilled in an import from Dragon Age: Origins, this creates three groups that can occupy the same space on the Wounded Coast: The cult following Sophia Dryden's possessed corpse; the Flint Company mercenaries; and the default group of giant spiders. The Flint mercenaries take precedence, then when eliminated should reset the spawn area to Sophia Dryden's group. This does not happen correctly, as the spiders occupy the area upon completing Duty, and there is no way to trigger Dryden's group making it impossible to complete Terror on the Coast. The simplest workaround is to not accept 'Duty' from the notice board (though it is okay to watch the cutscene outside the Chantry) and unlock the Wounded Coast another way (see Notes) and complete Terror on the Coast before taking the notice. Another method is to simply not import an Origins save in which the demon possessing Sophia's corpse is spared (Avernus need not be spared, which leads to Dark Epiphany, only that the demon is slain or Warden's Keep ignored entirely).