- This article is about bugs in Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening. For other uses, see Bugs.
This article may need to be cleaned up to reach a higher standard of quality.
This page contains a list of bugs found in Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening. Some bugs may have been fixed by official patches, which can be found in the external links.
- When the quest "Preying on the Weak" is active, traveling to the top flight of the Battlement will have you and your companions enter combat mode. With no way to attack the smugglers or leave the area you will be stuck. To circumvent this bug, travel to a different location on the map. When you return to Amaranthine you will be able to properly battle the smugglers.
- When given the quest "Bombs Away!" make sure you only give one lyrium sand at a time, as Dworkin may take all three and count it as only one. Confirmed for all platforms.
- Main character's equipment may disappear during the Silverite Mine portion of the game, details on that page.
- Velanna may not be allowed to undergo the Joining without improvisation unless the three main quests are done in a particular order. See Velanna's Joining.
- Sigrun may not be allowed to undergo the Joining without improvisation unless the three main quests are done in a particular order. See Sigrun's Joining.
- The Vigilance sword, acquired from the Worked to the Bone quest given to you by Wade, will look like the Starfang sword from DA:O if your game had the Warden's Keep DLC installed. Deactivating the Warden's Keep DLC fixes this. There are also fan made fixes available for the PC version.
- In the quest Smuggler's Run in Amaranthine (given by Shady Character) you are asked to speak to the innkeeper at the local tavern to get him to allow smuggling to continue. When you return you will be rewarded and invited down into the passage inside the house adjacent to him. Inside you will deal with some thieves and after you have cleared them out the Master Smuggler will show up. When you speak to him he will give you a gift of 15 gold and 500 experience points and offer you another job. Decline his offer and initiate dialogue again. He will once more reward you with 15 gold and 500 experience points. This can be repeated as much as you desire.
- When using an imported character, some of the DLC (promotional & Warden's Keep) items will not be transferred (excluding Memory Band, Return to Ostagar and The Stone Prisoner (pc only)). However, if you have these items equipped on your character, even though the items themselves disappear, their bonuses and fatigue modifications will be merged into the character's base attributes. (You can end up having character with 30% or more starting fatigue, or +25% Cold Damage & Resistance while naked). An unofficial fix that enables importing for all Warden's Keep and promotional DLC items is available here.
- Using the Manual of Focus on an imported Warden gives an extra skill point (this can be exploited for infinite skill points). Possibly, this has something to do with the fact that the Warden from Origins starts with 2 pre-selected skills instead of 1 like the Orlesian Warden or any companion. This may also work on some of the companions. (Tested and verified on Sigrun and Nathaniel on PS3, but it didn't work on Anders. It also seemed that Sigrun got 3 extra talent points after using Manual of Focus at least 8 times in a row, however, I'm not quite sure about it and this has not been verified.)
- Heraldry bugs: the Legion of the Dead heraldry gives an impressive +20 to all attributes bonus, instead of +3 like all other heraldries, the Templars heraldry turns into the Redcliffe heraldry when used.
- After killing The Withered, the Warden kept holding his arms as if he was holding his weapons and would not go back to normal. Can be avoided if using single-handed weapons during the battle or by switching weapon sets to single-handed immediately after striking they killing blow. Staffs, bows, two-handed swords, battle-axes and mauls trigger this bug even when wielded by Anders and Oghren. Easily fixable after the cut-scene through switching weapon sets.
- Accepting the quest Law and Order in Amaranthine will eliminate your ability to initiate Sigrun's personal quest. A dwarven woman standing at the bottom of the steps leading up to the tavern will no longer spawn if this quest has been accepted. If you picked up both Law and Order and Smuggler's Run and decide to side with the smugglers instead, it will cancel the bug out.
- Masterpiece Cold Iron Rune is an armor rune, which adds +12 damage vs. undead. This may have been fixed as of patch 1.04- requires confirmation.
Approval bug Edit
- There is an approval bug specific to the characters Sigrun, Justice and Velanna wherein their approval rating will instantly shoot up and get frozen at +100, without granting their character-specific approval bonuses and (in some cases) preventing their character-specific side quests from occurring. There is some disagreement over why exactly this bug occurs, though the general consensus seems to be that it is related to doing the Blight Orphans quests chain (and possibly other quests) before these characters have joined your party.
- Solution: You must reset the character's approval rating using a console command. The steps to do this are as follows, using Sigrun as an example:
- 1. Create a new shortcut that points to the file "daorigins.exe" in the bin_ship folder, located inside your Dragon Age directory. Note that the default shortcut does not point to this file - you must create a new one.
- 2. Edit the properties for this new shortcut, and place -enabledeveloperconsole at the end of the target line. Your target line should now look something like this: "C:\Dragon Age\bin_ship\daorigins.exe" -enabledeveloperconsole. Once this is done, enter the game using this shortcut.
- You must be able to select Sigrun's character to use the command, so if you are in Vigil Keep, leave it with her in your party.
- Click on Sigrun and open the developer console by pressing the tilde (`) key. (Note that you will not be able to see a command line or see the text you are entering - as soon as you start typing a command, all you will see are random letters and numbers at the top of your screen. This is not a bug.)
- Type runscript zz_gxa_addapproval Sigrun -100. This will remove 100 approval rating and reset Sigrun's approval back to 0. You can leave some approval on her, but if you leave more than +24, the fix will not work. This is because approval bonuses begin at +25, and you must be below this threshold to begin acquiring their bonuses. Note also that using this command to increase your party members' approval rating will not grant them their bonuses.
- Your character's approval should now respond normally to gifts/quests/events, and their character-specific side quests should be unaffected.
- A similar bug version existed with Velanna and Justice where (even personal) gifts only yielded +5 approval. Some have also seen this happen with Oghren with +6 approval yields. This was fixed with Patch 1.04.
Other bugs Edit
- When initially equipping a shield, it will appear on the avatar normally. However, whenever you switch between primary and secondary weapon sets, the shield will disappear. It still shows as equipped in the inventory, but does not appear on the avatar's back in game. In battle, the character motions as if pulling out the shield, but it's not there. If you return to the inventory screen and re-equip the shield, it will show again. However, the defense stats seem to be the same regardless of whether or not the shield is visible. Further investigation suggests this happens only after using a Manual of Focus. To avoid the bug, un-equip ALL items before using the manual. This is likely related to the Backwards Shield Bug.
- The Awakening epilogue will not recognize romance with Morrigan if you speak to her at the Final Battle in Origins, meaning you can't get a Morrigan epilogue in Awakening if you get the Ring epilogue in Origins. (It seems that this can be fixed if you hold off giving Morrigan the mirror gift until after loading the post epilogue save, which reactivates romance again.)
- A rogue Warden was no longer able to detect traps, but Nathaniel and Sigrun were still able to. This was fixed with patch 1.04.
- At the end of the final encounter, a cut scene plays of the Warden slaying the Mother, followed by a series of narrative text screens wrapping up loose ends in the story. At the end of those narrative text screens, a bug may occur in which the Mother-slaying death scene replays. Pressing the escape key resets the cut scene to the beginning, and it continues to play, instead of bringing up the menu it ordinarily does. There is no way to escape out of this and continue to a proper exit-to-menu state. Pressing F1 may force an exit to menu where game may be resumed from last save state. If this bug occurs it may repeat so that no proper endgame state is achieved.
- If the player is using an imported Warden, many of the Codex pages collected during Origins will have been removed. The removed pages appear as empty slots in the log rather than being erased. Saving and reloading the game apparently fixes this.
- Able to access the Silverite Mine before talking to Velanna. See Silverite Mine page for details.
- The gloves, breastplate, and boots of the Sentinel armor set will look like the Warden Commander armor on a human character if your DA:O game had the Warden's Keep DLC installed. On a dwarven/elven character it should be normal. Deactivating the Warden's Keep DLC will apparently fix this. But if you have the vanilla Wintersbreath or decide buy a Wintersbreath off in the Awakening, it will look like a stick instead of a staff. (This is because the staff graphics actually came from The Warden's Keep itself)
- When in Blackmarsh, there is a quest for a merchant named Karsten that gives you the choice to find his hidden cache, which is located to the right of the northern-most pond. When you get to it you can keep tapping A(X), then B(O), and it will continue to give you experience for finishing it. Make sure you never "take all" items from the cache or you can't continue getting exp. After closing the cache item screen, you can press A 3-4 times before the cache item screen reopens. This makes it 3-4 times faster to get the exp because each press counts. [Note: There was a sentence here claiming that it only worked on Hardcore - this isn't true. I have had it work on Casual and am sure it will work on my Normal and Nightmare runs.]
Backwards shield bug Edit
When this bug occurs, the character's shield appears on their back backwards and cocked at an angle. When entering combat, the shield is not visibly used, but the shield's combat effectiveness does not seem to be diminished.
This bug may only occur after using a Manual of Focus while a shield is equipped, although more testing may be required and its exact cause is unknown.
- This bug has been documented to affect the Fade Wall.
- In one instance, the bug did not occur until a Manual of Focus was used by an Arcane Warrior equipped with the Landsmeet Shield, after which the Arcane Warrior's switching from a staff to the sword/shield weapon set triggered the bug reliably. The glitch could be temporarily undone by unequipping the shield, then re-equipping it.
PC Specific Edit
- Awakening introduces some old console bugs not present in the PC version of Origins, allowing the player to assign Tactics to summoned creatures by clicking on the '# new tactics slots have been added' message on summon. In addition, the Ranger's Wolf/Blight Wolf summon hides 3/4 skills, mostly taken from Dog's repertoire, normally inaccessible to the player. Via the tactics menu, you can make the Wolf auto-cast those hidden abilities
- If you use [Esc] to stop the ending, then you read the epilogue, you get an unknown bug that causes the "killing the Mother" cutscene to play on an infinite loop after the credits. You can also get this without hitting ESC, the scene will play once more but go to the credits the second time instead of showing the epilogue.
- Codex entries for companions will sometimes read that they have died in battle, even if the epilogue says they have survived.
- If the Warden saved Amaranthine but did not take up the side-quest through the Blight Orfans Notis Bord, the epilogue will still show what happened to Dirk.
- Some players have reported that no armor in their game has any rune slots. Most likely caused by unofficial mods. Simply disabling mods doesn't fix it, they have to be disabled and then start a new game.
- The Vigil's Keep town keeps resetting itself. For example, the lootable chests and crates reappear, Lilith appears again and walks away after talking to her, and Herren's inventory resets to default.
- Companions' highest approval rank is displayed as "Love" instead of "Friendly".
- The Silverite Mine is extremely buggy. If *anyone* is equipped with something the corresponding experimental subject cannot carry, that equipment will disappear. This isn't always true. There have been some reported playthroughs where the characters had on Warden specific gear that the ES couldn't equip, but after defeating the ES all items were there, just not equipped.
- Anders' gift, Phylacteries: A History Written in Blood, gives only one approval.
- Experience bug on Voldrik Glavonak's granite quest. After locating and telling him that there is granite in Wending Wood, he will ask you for guards for the miner's protection. Pick the second one saying "We're already short on soldiers. You can't have any." This will give a 500 exp reward. This process can be repeated many times over as long as the player desires.
- If one chose to execute the Darkspawn that helped save Ameranthine, he is still shown as alive and helping others in the epilogue.
- Unlimited approval with Nathaniel: In Vigil's Keep - Basement, if you pass the Survival check for the mabari hound, instead of taking the scroll, just leave the dog alone. The Survival check will still be available if you talk to the mabari again, each time giving you +2 approval with Nathaniel. (level 3 Survival required).
- Entering into the Vigil's Keep - Basement, just after you've finished vanishing the first run in there, and talking to the woman in the dead end, and choosing to go back to the surface, will give you experience points.
- Sometimes the player is unable to start the proper conversation with the Vigil Keep dwarves Dworkin and Voldrik to get their sidequests (What is Built Endures, Memories of the Stone, Bombs Away!) even if you are carrying the required items and the plot helper icon is shining above them. Similar problem with the Heartwood (exotic materials) quest for Master Wade. Walking away then coming back and speaking to them does not solve the glitch, nor does going to a different location/zone. However, if you complete the entire Wending Woods quest arc through the end of the Silverite Mines then all three of these quests should be able to progress.
- If Alistair slays the Archdemon in Origins, and(/or)? is also a love interest to the Warden-Commander, the dialogue noting that the two run off together incorrectly displays. This couldn't happen.
- Even after the Warden speaks to each of the three leading figures after their taking back of Vigil's Keep, the quest 'The Awakening' does not register that Mistress Woolsey has been spoken to.
Xbox Specific Edit
- Staff of the Magister Lord can transfer to Awakening but it will not be able to attack.
- Conversation with the dying bandit in the Wending Wood may loop indefinitely; get out of it by quickly skipping all dialogue once it begins to loop back on itself.
- After killing The Withered, when King/Queen shows up with soldiers, Alistair is king even if the Warden chose to marry Anora in Origins (only occurs if you selected to marry Anora after Alistair kills Loghain).
- Herren's vendor inventory would continually reset, allowing multiple panancea, rainswept, and other unique items. This issue was alleviated when the patch was removed (what patch?)
- Herbalism cannot be used in some playthroughs.
- In some cases the personal storage will delete all items it is holding. Currently happens when Sigrun is glitched to have 100% loyalty before plot gift given and unable to give her the joining due to finishing Knotwood hills last.
- As part of the personal storage, storing an item *unknown* causes the save game to become corrupt.
- If an imported Warden who was romanced by Alistair is used and Alistair died killing the Archdemon then the Awakening epilogue will not recognize Alistair's death.
PS3 Specific Edit
- When collecting the 4 pieces of the Sentinel Armor during Shadows of the Blackmarsh, you must obtain all pieces before leaving. If you exit the area, there is a chance that the pieces may be replaced with a duplicate of one of the items already in your inventory.
- Loss of functionality after saving Amaranthine. Talked to the weaponsmith after killing the Ogre Commander. Then talked to the enchanter, resulting in the rune enchantment screen coming up without a background. Exited this and talked to him again, resulting in a pause state without any GUI. The only way to exit was to press Start twice. After this, could not save or exit the zone.
- Visuals for the epilogues may not load, just displaying the text on a blank screen, before the brood mother's death scene is replayed, then the credits will not display.
- Soldier's Heavy Helm and Cailan's Helm will look like Helm of Hirol's Defense, when imported into Awakening.
- I got the Ultimate Sacrifice Trophy after defeating The Mother with my imported Warden, which later scored me the Perfectionist Trophy by completing the Main game with the Secret Companion. All of that despite none of my Wardens died, because i always accepted Morrigan's offer.
- If the player chooses to save Amaranthine during the Assault on Amaranthine quest, it may be possible to take all six party members with the Warden-Commander. This can be achieved by highlighting the exit area following dialogue with Captain Garevel and Constable Aidan, returning to Vigil's Keep and then being able to select one more party member. This can apparently be repeated until all companions are present[confirmation needed] .