Cumberland is an influential port city in the nation of Nevarra, seated alongside the Waking Sea and straddling the River Cumber. Its location gives it access to trade with the Free Marches and beyond. Over the last century, Cumberland has taken advantage of this to expand into one of the largest cities in Thedas. Cumberland is also where the College of Magi routinely convene and is the seat of the Grand Enchanter. While Cumberland is a major metropolis, the city of Nevarra is the capital of the nation.
Architecture and culture Edit
Cumberland's roads are paved with cobblestones, the streets typically lined with three-story buildings, many of which have ornate facades. In the older portions of the city the streets are narrow, but most are spacious to accommodate carts and traders. Nevarran veneration of the dead is seen in the city by the skillfully crafted statues of heroes past that fill the city's many courtyards.
Armed guards stand watch outside of the wealthy districts of the city and inhabitants and visitors are therefore not allowed to walk about armed. Those who appear uncouth or of low standing are looked upon with disdain.
The current Duke of Cumberland is Sandral Anaxas.
- College of Magi: The College is a massive, elaborately designed structure featuring a spired golden dome called the Sun Dome. Once the palatial home of a Duchess, it is here that First Enchanters gather to elect the Grand Enchanter, their representative to the Chantry and their chief adviser on all matters magical. The building also features the "red auditorium," a meeting space with a mahogany dome.
- The "Dragons' Den": The city's dwarven trade enclave. A walled-off area several blocks square and adjacent to the wealthy human neighborhoods. All the enclave's buildings are made of stone and designed in the dwarven architectural style.
- The Diamond Lass: A lavish inn in The Dragon's Den district. Drinks are served in crystal goblets worked with runes to keep the beverages cold.
- Forsythia Ancestral Estate: The residence of the noble Forsythia family.
- The name of the dwarven enclave derives from the Nevarrans' nickname for their gold currency: "dragons."
- Cumberland is so large the city of Denerim could be contained three times in its borders.
- Mages of the Cumberland Circle appear to wear unique robes, as evidenced by the Cumberland Circle Robes chestpiece in Dragon Age II.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Dragon Age (tabletop RPG), Game Master's Guide, set 2, p. 49
- ↑ Dragon Age: Origins: Prima Official Game Guide, p. 347
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 1, p. 61
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 2, p. 131
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Dragon Age (tabletop RPG), Game Master's Guide, set 2, p. 51
- ↑ The College of Magi war table operation
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Dragon Age: Asunder, p. 336
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Dragon Age (tabletop RPG), Game Master's Guide, set 2, p. 50
- ↑ Dragon Age (tabletop RPG), Game Master's Guide, set 2, p. 54
- ↑ name=Magekiller 3 p.1