|This article may need to be cleaned up to reach a higher standard of quality. |
The article is cluttered. Some of the information could be moved to different sections, e.g. various differences between the PC and consoles from the walkthrough
Crime Wave is a series of quests received from Slim Couldry in the Denerim Market District. Couldry is impish, but with a good heart, and passionate about sticking it to the man. He sees the PC's potential for being sneaky, and asks for their help in robbing some of the nobles.
The Warden needs either the Stealth talent or to have learnt the Stealing skill for Slim Couldry to appear. He will offer the interested Warden two types of jobs: burglaries and pick-pocketing. The Warden may decline both or one of the proposed job types, or accept them.
To find Slim, head towards the Chantry in the Denerim Market District. He is standing next to Goldanna's House (when facing the door, Slim is off to the left). When clicked on, Slim will engage in a little banter with the Warden, eventually coming to the point and asking the Warden to pay him money in return for tips on "merchandise" to swipe. The available quests are divided into two categories: "marks" and "places to rob".
|Quest Name||Mark||Initial Cost||Item(s)||Location||Walkthrough|
|Lady's Maid||Lady's Maid||50||Pouch of Gems 1||Denerim Market District||The mark is standing in the central bazaar of the Denerim Market District, next to Cesar.|
|Ser Nancine||Ser Nancine||1||
Ser Nancine's Ornamental Sword
An ornate sword with a gaudy, jewel-encrusted hilt. It was taken from Ser Nancine.
|Wonders of Thedas||Multiple options:
Note: If the sword is obtained during dialogue, it may be possible to pick-pocket a second sword afterwards.
|Master Tilver||Master Tilver||3||From Tilver: Key;||Denerim Market District||Tilver has several guards with him. If The Warden has high coercion, it is possible to "talk" their way into stealing the key; otherwise, stealth plus stealing will work if your stealing capability is high enough. The sure bet, though, is to use the nearby messenger boy - he can be paid 10 to distract the guards, allowing you to approach Tilver and steal the key without requiring top-level stealing. Once you have the key, unlock the two chests in the central bazaar of the Denerim Market District.
Warning: You may want to hold on to the garnets for the Untraceable quest.
|Steal the Teyrn's Crown (only available during the Landsmeet)||Seneschal||6||
Teyrn Loghain's Crown
The crown that belonged to Teyrn Loghain.
|Gnawed Noble Tavern||
Option 1: Enter the Seneschal's room to trigger a dialogue with the guards. The Warden can intimidate the guards into leaving, or fight. However, if you fight the guards immediately, the Seneschal will also be killed. If you do not attack when you first enter the room, you can intimidate the Seneschal into giving up the crown.
pc (patch 1.05) Exploit: To acquire a second crown, choose to attack the Seneschal after you intimidate him into giving you the crown. (If you choose to kill him, the guards will remain and will attack you.) Loot his corpse or pick-pocket him.
Option 2: Leave the party behind and have a character enter with Stealth. If not detected, the stealthed character can steal the crown off the Seneschal. Stealth is hard-coded to drop after a pick-pocket attempt, but the guards will no longer be hostile and cannot be made hostile in dialogue.
Option 3: Have the waitresses incapacitate the guards. Pay 3 to get the guards another round of drinks or 5 for the strongest liquor. Alternatively, with sufficient Poison skill, spike the drinks. Afterwards, retrieve the crown from the Seneschal or sneak in and steal the crown.
Places to rob Edit
|Quest Name||Initial Cost||Item(s)||Location||Walkthrough|
|The Absent Mistress||1||Deep Mushroom, Diamond, Silk Carpet, 2||Gnawed Noble Tavern - Lady Sophie's Room||Can be completed before talking to Slim, which causes Slim to apologise and return the 1 sovereign.|
|A Fistful of Silver||4|
A bar of silver.
|Market Warehouse||The Market Warehouse is just past the Wonders of Thedas. It is possible to retreat to the northeast corner quickly, then cast Storm of the Century near the southwest corner near the quest-marked containers. This should keep the party out of the radius of the Storm while clearing most of Howe's archers and anyone who fails to run out of it quickly enough.|
|The Private Collector||10 (Returned afterwards)||None||Bann Franderel's Manor||After accepting, a new location will be added to the Denerim City Map. Travel there, and it will soon become obvious that things are awkward. Blaze a trail back to Slim, and he will apologize profusely, return the initial fee, and promise to make up for it. Afterwards, he vanishes, only to return later.|
|The Tears of Andraste||None||The Tears of Andraste 10||Bann Franderel's Manor||Not available until after the Landsmeet. The quest involves going back to the previous location, stealing the Tears, and then either giving them to the Chantry (anonymously) or keeping them. Using subtlety to stealth in and poison the guards' drinks is an option.|
The total expenditure is 15 50 , not including the penultimate burglary's cost. The total profit can be over 35 .
There is no major effect on the storyline.
In Dragon Age: Awakening, Varel will speak of a 'Dark Wolf' that has caused troubles amongst nobles. If you have completed this quest, you have the option of saying "(Lie) Dark Wolf? Never heard of him/her." This is because you are him/her, as Slim will mention after your successful burglaries or pickpocketing that "some are even calling you the Dark Wolf."
After having completed the original break-in at Bann Franderel's Manor and returning the second time, you can hear two guards talking. Eventually, one says, "and not a single one lived to tell the tale," even if you snuck in and out whilst leaving some alive.
- pc (patch 1.05) If you get the Stealing skill after first talking to Slim, you will not get the other quests.
- If you are on this quest and try to approach either the Seneschal or the Blackstone Irregulars' Box, the guards will always detect you whether you have poisoned their drinks, paid for expensive liquor, or if you are stealthed. You will return to the room's entrance and enter combat. On pc (patch 1.02), this bug can still be exploited to obtain two copies of the crown: when forced into battle with the Seneschal after poisoning, a message is received that you picked up the crown from his sleeping (poisoned) body, but then a second copy can be looted from his body after he falls in battle.
- If you defeat the guards in battle, sometimes the doors will lock and trap you inside. Picking the lock is not possible, though clicking on the Blackstone Irregulars' Box seems to rectify this issue.
- On the pc (patch 1.03) and on xbox360 (patch 1.04), after going to Bann Franderel's Manor for the first time, rather than returning your gold Slim mentions that the guards are looking for whomever raided Arl Howe's home. If you ask him if he knows any good places to break into, you will exit the conversation.
- You can begin stealing the Teyrn's crown after the Landsmeet, even if you decided to kill Teyrn Loghain, despite Slim mentioning that the crown was there to be prepared for the Landsmeet.
- Ser Nancine may not give you the 2 she promises even if you pass the Herbalism and Persuasion checks.
- Bann Franderel's Manor does not count towards the Traveller Achievement (xbox360) or the Amount of Dragon Age Origins Complete (listed in the Accomplishments section of your journal).
- If you use the messenger boy to distract the guards, then the The Trial of Crows quest will be triggered, even if you have not seen the cutscene where Zevran first appears.