Before the arrival of the Warden, Connor began to demonstrate magical abilities. According to the laws of the Chantry, this would result in the child being sent to the Circle Tower for tutoring, as well as forfeiting all rights to lands and titles. Scared of losing her son and ashamed of his magical power, his mother Isolde, the Arlessa of Redcliffe, decided to hire a tutor to teach the boy in secret, the Blood mage Jowan. Her intention was that Jowan would help her son not only control his powers, but also conceal them from others, allowing him to escape the grasp of the Circle and the templars.
However, Jowan was sent to Redcliffe by Teyrn Loghain to poison Arl Eamon, a task in which he succeeded. In an attempt to save his father's life, Connor naively allowed himself to be possessed by a Desire Demon. He is the one responsible for the hordes of undead attacking Redcliffe Village at night.Connor is first encountered in Castle Redcliffe. He will occasionally have brief moments of lucidity, coming around only to find that he's lost time and has absolutely no clue what is going on.
The Warden in order to gain access to Arl Eamon, should deal with the possessed child. This can happen in a number of ways.
The Warden may attempt to save Connor by confronting the demon in the Fade. This can be done through the use of a blood magic ritual by sacrificing and using the life force of Arlessa Isolde provided that Jowan is still around or by using lyrium obtained by the Circle of Magi. The latter option, however, requires that the events of the Broken Circle be completed and the mages of the Circle are still alive. In both options, a mage should enter the Fade in order to destroy the demon. That could be a magi Warden, Morrigan, Wynne, or if the Circle option was used, First Enchanter Irving. If a magi Warden enters the Fade in order to rescue Connor, he/she can have a deal with the demon in order for it to return on a later date and possess Connor again, instead of destroying the demon.
The other option is to deal directly with the possessed Connor by initiating a confrontation with him in the upper floor of the castle where he retreated. By following this path, the desire demon is being destroyed, however Connor is also killed.
Based on these options, there are various results in the epilogue:
- If The Warden allows the Desire demon to possess Connor at a later date as part of their deal to spare his life, Connor will vanish when the Arl prepares him to be sent to The Circle. Eamon will search but eventually give up. Connor is never seen again.
- If the Warden allows the Desire Demon to possess Connor at a later date as part of their deal to spare his life, and does not let his mother, Lady Isolde, sacrifice herself, it could also result in Connor completing his Harrowing and becoming a full circle mage, undertaking a formal study of the Fade.
- If Connor is saved and the Desire Demon killed or scared away, he may be sent to the Circle of Magi. After completing his Harrowing and becoming a full circle mage, he will undertake a formal study of The Fade in Tevinter. This will happen if you let his mother, Lady Isolde, sacrifice herself to perform Jowan's blood ritual not using the Circle of Magi's help.
- If Connor is saved and the Desire Demon killed or scared away, Arl Eamon may merely comment that Connor has been acting strangely. This will happen if his mother, Lady Isolde, also survives the events in Redcliffe.
- If Connor is killed, Eamon and Isolde will conceive another child, this time a daughter, named Rowan. Isolde dies during childbirth. Like Connor, she is revealed to be a mage, and is eventually sent to the Circle for formal training.
Furthermore, if Connor survives and the Warden died killing the Archdemon, Connor will be present at the Warden's funeral standing next to Arl Eamon.
- It is possible to save Connor and still have the Codex recorded as the Warden killing Connor. This bug occurs on the pcversion after the events at Redcliffe Castle. In all platforms, the Codex will occasionally report that Isolde sacrificed herself to save Connor even when you opted to have the Circle of the Magi send a mage into the Fade rather than have Jowan use Blood Magic.
- xbox360If Isolde kills Connor, Arl Eamon's dialogue during the coronation ceremony will be the same as if Connor were still alive - "Connor seems well enough, but Isolde refuses to speak of what happened..."
- If First Enchanter Irving enters the fade and speaks with Arl Eamon there, there is one line of dialogue where Irving appears to be confused and questions trusting Arl Eamon -- it should probably be that Arl Eamon responds with that line to Irving.
- When importing to Dragon Age II, one of the important choices that the player makes in Dragon Age: Origins is the fate of Connor.
- Connor was set to appear in Dragon Age II, but this was cut from the final game before release. Recorded lines for Connor can be found here.