Before the arrival of the Warden, Connor began to demonstrate magical abilities. According to the laws of the Chantry, this would result in the child being sent to the Circle Tower for tutoring, as well as forfeiting all rights to lands and titles. Scared of losing her son and ashamed of his magical power, his mother Isolde, the Arlessa of Redcliffe decided instead to hire a tutor to teach the boy in secret, the Blood Mage Jowan. Her intention was that Jowan would help her son not only control his powers, but also conceal them from others, allowing him to escape the grasp of the Circle and the templars. Unfortunately for her, Jowan was sent to Redcliffe by Teyrn Loghain to poison Arl Eamon, a task in which the mage succeeded. In an attempt to save his father's life, Connor naively allowed himself to be possessed by a Desire Demon. He is the one responsible for the hordes of undead attacking Redcliffe Village at night.
Connor is first encountered in Castle Redcliffe. He will occasionally have brief moments of lucidity, coming around only to find that he's lost time and has absolutely no clue what is going on.
- See the Arl of Redcliffe for more information.
The Warden must end the threat that the demon represents. There are several ways to do this.
Save Connor Edit
In order to save Connor, the demon must be exorcised from Connor. This can be accomplished by sending a mage into the Fade to vanquish the demon. There are two ways to enter the Fade:
Circle of MagiEdit
The Warden can also go to the Circle of Magi to get more mages to assist in performing the ritual, allowing the use of blood magic to be avoided. Nothing will advance in Redcliffe while you're gone, so selecting this option will not kill the Arl or Connor. This option will get you the most approval from your morally minded companions. Alistair, despite initially admitting that killing Connor might be the only option, will admit he's glad that course of action was taken and gain a large number of approval points for the Warden.
Note that if the Warden has not yet completed the Broken Circle quest, he/she will have to do so upon arrival at the Circle. In addition, you must side with the mages rather than the Templars during this quest if you wish for the Circle to give you aid.
In the FadeEdit
Only a mage can enter the Fade. If The Warden has chosen to seek the Circle's help, First Enchanter Irving or Jowan can also be sent. After the Desire Demon's realm's defenders have been defeated, you have the option to fight her, or to accept her gifts and leave the Fade without a fight. Neither Morrigan, First Enchanter Irving, nor Wynne will make a deal with the Demon. If a deal is struck with the demon, she will give the Warden what he/she desires and then agree to leave the boy alone for "a time," coming back when he is older and thus more 'powerful and wise.'
You can also negotiate with the Demon and get her out of his mind for good, and still give you an item of your choice (or teach you how to be a blood mage). If the mage inside the fade is the Warden, you can intimidate her after agreeing to talk and not accept her proposition to leave Connor for a while and come back later. After it, if your intimidation is high enough, she will offer to leave for good, but doesn't give you anything. Intimidate her again (you'll need Master Coercion) and she will offer you a gift to avoid the fight.
Kill Connor Edit
The final option is to kill Connor. This can be done by either The Warden or Isolde. Leliana and Alistair take exception to The Warden following this path, as Connor is only an innocent. If The Warden informs Isolde of the decision, Sten will voice his approval (+4) of the decision. If the Warden tells Connor he intends to kill him, Connor will admit that he went to look at Jowan's book, which had somehow caused all the humans in the castle to begin killing each other and turning them into walking corpses, except certain people like Arl Eamon, due to the deal Connor made with the demon.
Simply attempting to enter Arl Eamon's room will trigger the series of events leading up to Connor's demise, even if the party deliberately avoids talking to Connor, so avoid exploring the castle too extensively if you wish to save Connor. If Connor is provoked, he will transform into the Desire Demon, who force a battle to the death. After the demon is defeated, Connor will revert back to human form but will die at the hands of either the Warden or Isolde.
Alistair will become extremely angry if The Warden chooses to cause Connor's death. Unless a persuade check is passed, up to 21 approval points can be lost. Deliberately angering Alistair further can result in losing up to 41 approval points.
- It is possible to save Connor and still have the Codex recorded as the Warden killing Connor. This bug occurs on the PC version after the events at Redcliffe Castle. In the PS3 and PC versions, the Codex will occasionally report that Isolde sacrificed herself to save Connor even when you opted to have the Circle of the Magi send a mage into the Fade rather than have Jowan use Blood Magic (confirmed on XBOX360,PC).
- If Isolde kills Connor, Arl Eamon's dialogue during the coronation ceremony will be the same as if Connor were still alive - "Connor seems well enough, but Isolde refuses to speak of what happened..." (X360)
- If First Enchanter Irving enters the fade and speaks with Arl Eamon there, there is one line of dialogue where Irving appears to be confused and questions trusting Arl Eamon -- it should probably be that Arl Eamon responds with that line to Irving.
- The scene where The Warden first meets Connor has overtones of the original Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life".
- At the end of the game in the Post-Coronation area, if The Warden talks to Arl Eamon, the arl asks if The Warden has noticed anything wrong with Connor.
- The name Connor is similar to conor, the Latin word meaning 'to try.'
- When importing to Dragon Age II, one of the important choices that the player makes in DA:O is the fate of Connor.
- He was apparently supposed to make an appearance in Dragon Age II.
- If Connor survives and the Warden died killing the Archdemon, Connor will be present at the Warden's funeral standing next to Arl Eamon.