- See also: Chant of Light Verses
- Its gates forever shut.
- Heaven has been filled with silence,
- I knew then,
- And cross'd my heart with shame.
- -Andraste 1:11
Andraste was the prophet and, supposedly, bride of the Maker. The Chantry has it that the Old Gods turned humanity away from its true creator, and thus the Maker turned away from the world. However, when Andraste sang to the gods, asking them to help her people who remained slaves in Tevinter, her voice reached Him, and so captivated Him that He offered her a place at His side, that she might rule all of creation.
Canticle of Benedictions Edit
- See also: Verses: Canticle of Benedictions
- Blessed are they who stand before
- The corrupt and the wicked and do not falter.
- Blessed are the peacekeepers, the champions of the just.
- -Benedictions 4:10
This canticle includes the line "Blessed are the peacekeepers, the champions of the just", sometimes used by Chanters to thank those completing jobs on their boards.
Canticle of Erudition Edit
- See also: Verses: Canticle of Erudition
- The first of the Maker's children watched across the Veil
- And grew jealous of the life
- They could not feel, could not touch.
- In blackest envy were the demons born.
- -Erudition 2:1
Canticle of Shartan Edit
- See also: Verses: Canticle of Shartan
At Shartan's word, the sky Grew black with arrows. At Our Lady's, ten thousand swords Rang from their sheaths, A great hymn rose over Valarian Fields gladly proclaiming: Those who had been slaves were now free.
This canticle is now one of the Dissonant Verses, stricken from the Chant following the Exalted March on the Dales.
Canticle of Threnodies Edit
- See also: Verses: Canticle of Threnodies
- And so is the Golden City blackened
- With each step you take in my Hall.
- Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
- You have brought Sin to Heaven
- And doom upon all the world.
- -Threnodies 8:13
Threnodies are dirges or lamentations.. Known stanzas in Threnodies deal with such topics as the creation of the Golden City by the Maker and its later invasion by Tevinter Magisters, which the Chantry claims led to the creation of the Darkspawn and the First Blight.
Canticle of Transfigurations Edit
- See also: Verses: Canticle of Transfigurations
- Magic exists to serve man, and never to rule over him.
- Foul and corrupt are they
- Who have taken His gift
- And turned it against His children.
- They shall be named Maleficar, accursed ones.
- They shall find no rest in this world
- Or beyond.
- -Transfigurations 1:2
Canticle of Trials Edit
- See also: Verses: Canticle of Trials
- I shall not be left to wander the drifting roads of the Fade
- For there is no darkness, nor death either, in the Maker's Light
- And nothing that He has wrought shall be lost.
- -Trials 1:14
See also Edit
- Category:Chant of Light groups articles on this topic, including Codex entries that contain quotations from the Chant.