Broodmothers give birth to a large litter at once, between twenty and fifty children. They emerge from her womb as toddlers, often already able to walk, and grow rapidly in their first few weeks of life. A broodmother will birth thousands of darkspawn young in her lifetime.
Female captives are usually made broodmothers by the darkspawn. They contract the taint by being force-fed darkspawn tissue and consuming darkspawn vomit that is forcefully spewed into the captive's mouth. This gives them cannibalistic urges but also mutates them. These females turn into fully-fledged broodmothers after devouring massive amounts of flesh even from their own kin.
The race of the broodmother determines which kind of darkspawn she will give birth to. An elven broodmother will spawn shrieks, a dwarven broodmother genlocks, a human broodmother hurlocks, and a Qunari or kossith broodmother ogres. Each broodmother is capable of spawning thousands of darkspawn.
Dragon Age: Origins Edit
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening Edit
Dragon Age: Inquisition Edit
Abilities EditGas Grab Ranged Spit Scream Sweep Vomit
- See Broodmother (strategy) for details on fighting the broodmother in A Paragon of Her Kind.
- See The Mother (strategy) for details on fighting the Mother in the Depths of Depravity.
- To date, no specific broodmothers of elven or qunari origin have been shown or described.
- ↑ David Gaider (18 July 2010). "What do darkspawn eat?" . The BioWare Forum. Retrieved on March 5, 2014.
- ↑ Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 1, p. 148
- ↑ Hespith#Poem