Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Birthright is an Act 1 companion quest for either Bethany Hawke or Carver Hawke in Dragon Age II. During this quest Hawke will search for his/her Grandfather's will, which could prove that the estate belongs to the Amell family.
In Act 1, stop at Gamlen's house to hear Leandra and Gamlen argue about money and about Grandfather Amell's will. Gamlen will say that nothing was left for Leandra. He will also say that the will is still in the Amell estate vault, which is no longer accessible since slavers now own the estate. After this conversation, speak to Carver or Bethany and discuss how to break into the vault in order to initiate the quest.
The underground passage into the Amell estate cellar can be found outside Anders's Clinic in northern part of Darktown. Once inside the passage, expect some resistance from slaver guards. Right as you step through the first, rather short hallway from the entrance, the Codex entry: History of Kirkwall: Chapter 1 will be on your right, (although you will probably be attacked before you can retrieve it). Loot can be found in the side rooms. In the storeroom you can find a gift for Hawke's sibling (for the quest Portrait of the Past or Family History) and Codex entry: The Amell Family.
Go through another hallway to the third main room, but watch for the trap (Standard, requires 20 cunning to disarm) near the shaft of light. In the side room you can find more loot and another codex entry, Codex entry: History of Kirkwall: Chapter 2.
In the final room before the vault, the party will face a slaver mage as well as other slavers. Disable the trap (Simple) in the room to make the fight easier. The key to the vault can be found on the mage's body, and the Codex entry: History of the Circle will be on the floor in the northeast if you're looking at the map (southeast if you're coming through the doorway), across from the stairs leading to the vault.
Enter the vault to pick up over 9 as well as Grandfather Amell's will. The chest containing the will also holds an armor upgrade for Carver/Bethany:Heirloom Amell Protective Sigils
Companion armor upgrade
+10% magic resistance, magic resistance +10% for Bethany Fereldan Girded Plating
Companion armor upgrade
+(10%) armor, armor +10% for Carver
At this point, Carver or Bethany will ask to take the will back to Leandra immediately. Agreeing with the sibling will transport the party back to Gamlen's house.
- Leandra will be pleased to learn that her parents did not die angry, and she will try to petition the Viscount to get the estate back.
- Follow-up conversations can be initiated with Bethany, Carver, Gamlen and Leandra.
- Entering the vault in the Amell Estate cellar gains Bethany: friendship (+15). Sometimes the approval won't show up until you reach the vault door.
- In the follow-up conversation with Bethany, when she says she didn't know that knowing that her grandparents didn't hate her would mean much to her:
- If you leave the cellar in the middle of the quest, the entrance to the cellar will not be displayed on the minimap. It can still be used to enter the cellar however.
- The sibling will comment about the entrance to the cellar upon approaching it even before talking to Leandra about starting the quest.
- Sometimes when accepting this quest it appears to gain Carver: friendship (+10) but this does not alter the bar.
- Above the locked door to the Amell vault is the skull of an Ogre. It is never specifically stated who was responsible for placing it there.
- The cellar is inaccessible once the quest is completed.