The developer of the Dragon Age series, BioWare, is a Canadian electronic entertainment company founded in February 1995 by Dr. Ray Muzyka, Dr. Greg Zeschuk, and Augustine Yip in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. BioWare was acquired by EA Games in 2007.
BioWare specializes in creating computer and console video games and has become famous for highly praised and successful computer role-playing games such as the award-winning Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. They have also made several successful console role-playing games such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and most recently, Dragon Age: Inquisition. The former three games were later adapted for the PC as well.
Bioware is currently divided into three studios:
- BioWare Edmonton: the original Bioware studio founded in 1995 from which most of their games, including the Dragon Age series, were released.
- BioWare Montreal: founded in 2009 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Currently developing Mass Effect: Andromeda.
- BioWare Austin: founded in 2006 in Austin, Texas, US. Responsible for developing Star Wars: The Old Republic and its expansions.
- Shattered Steel (1996)
- Baldur's Gate (1998)
- Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (1999)
- MDK2 (2000)
- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000)
- Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (2001)
- Neverwinter Nights (2002)
- Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide (2003)
- Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark (2003)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003)
- Neverwinter Nights: Kingmaker (2005)
- Jade Empire (2005)
- Mass Effect (2007)
- Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (2008)
- Mass Effect Galaxy (2009)
- Dragon Age: Origins (2009)
- Mass Effect 2 (2010)
- Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening (2010)
- Dragon Age II (2011)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (2011)
- Mass Effect 3 (2012)
- Dragon Age: Inquisition (2014)
- Mass Effect: Andromeda (2017)
- Shadow Realms (Cancelled)