- “Other people always took risks to keep me free.”
Grey Warden (possible)
Circle mage (possible)
Force Mage (Act 2 onward)
See companion quests
Bethany will have one of several facial structures and hair styles, depending on the customization result of the player's character. The selection works as follows:
There are three base facial shapes that each family member can have. Hawkes using the default Hawke appearance or any of the first three presets will get the first head shape, Hawkes using the second three presets will get the second head shape, and Hawkes using the final three presets (or any modded presets past that) will get the third shape.
Each of the three head shapes has three variations - one with a pale skintone, one with a medium skintone, and one with a dark skintone, and each with a different hairstyle. Which of these variations is used by the game depends on Hawke's skintone; the first four skin tones will result in the light-skinned version of Bethany, the second four in the medium-skinned version, and the final four in the dark-skinned version. All versions of Bethany will have black hair. The same applies for Carver and Leandra.
If Hawke is a mage, Bethany will attack an ogre, be grappled, smashed to the ground and killed. If Hawke is a warrior or rogue, it will be Carver who is killed by the Ogre, and Bethany will accompany her family to Kirkwall.
Bethany will spend the year working with her elder sibling in servitude. After the year, Bethany and Hawke plan on joining The Deep Roads Expedition through that time Bethany and Hawke will work on reclaiming the family estate. After amassing the fifty sovereigns needed to fund the expedition, Bethany will volunteer to join her elder sibling. Her mother will beg her to remain at home. Bethany will cite that she is "allowed to fight the darkspawn," but the final decision will be made by Hawke.
If she has not died in Act 1, she will be abducted during the quest Best Served Cold in Act 3.
If Bethany is left behind in Kirkwall, she will be arrested and taken to the Gallows just as Hawke returns from the Deep Roads. She will be in contact with her family and adjusts quickly to life in the Circle. She will pass her Harrowing and become a senior member of the Circle, in charge of teaching young apprentices. A letter reveals that Ella has taken quite a shine to her. She is happy that she doesn't have to run anymore and supports the Circle.
During the Qunari siege of Kirkwall she will lead an attempt to save First Enchanter Orsino from the Qunari. Hawke will be coldly received by Bethany who will utter sarcastic and ungrateful remarks, but she will survive the siege and be available to join the party later.
During The Last Straw (Quest), Bethany will naturally want to take the mages' side. If Hawke sides with the mages she will be thankful of Hawke siding with her kind and will join the party once again. She will then participate with the defense and evacuation of the Circle. If Hawke joins forces with the templars, she can be asked if she would fight their own sibling, at which point she will hesitate. Orsino will then convince her to follow him into the Gallows.
After Hawke arrives in the courtyard and still fights alongside the templars, she will question her sibling whether they would kill their own sister, but will be taken back into the Gallows by Orsino after Hawke's answer. The next time she is encountered is during the battle with Orsino. When he reveals that he studied the research of the Blood Mage Quentin, Hawke may mention that he was the man that murdered their mother, causing Bethany to withdraw from Orsino, shocked and appalled that he protected the man that killed her mother, and claiming the First Enchanter could have saved Leandra and all of Quentin's other victims if he hadn't done so. She will join the battle against his Harvester form. After Orsino is killed, she will still mourn him and when Knight-Commander Meredith prepares to execute her, accuses her of having driven Orsino to such extremes but accepts her sentence, stating she knows what will happen.
Hawke can now choose to let Meredith go through with the execution, or speak up in Bethany's defense. If she is spared, she will re-join Hawke's party and be available for the final battle with Meredith.
If Hawke sides with the mages, Bethany will be relieved. She can join the party defending the mages in the Gallows. In her final dialogue she comes to the conclusion that her magic comes from the Maker and he wouldn't want mages to be treated as they are.
Taken on the Deep Roads
If taken on on the Deep Roads expedition she will contract the taint and will die unless Anders is in the party in which case she will be recruited into the Grey Wardens. She will have very little contact with her family contacting only the mother informing her of her survival and continued travels with the wardens. She will resent the older sibling for coming out of the Deep Roads unscathed while she almost died. She will have been the only member of the Hawke family to return to Ferelden since their flight.
During the Qunari siege in Act 2, she and several other Grey Wardens will be attacked by the Qunari where they will receive support from Hawke.
Later when tension between the templars and Mages reaches its boiling point she will be abducted by Ser Thrask and be used to get Hawke to join his cause however it fails and Thrask is killed along with the abductors. She will also be seen at the Deep Roads with Nathaniel Howe in which she reveals that she is sad and hurt. To add to her taint she also has been away from her family for a long time in which so much happened and there was so little she could do to help that she has tried to freeze herself emotionally (explaining her attitude during the siege) but that this alienating attitude only hurt her more than it helped her. Furthermore she realizes that joining the Wardens was her only hope. She does not give a proper goodbye.During The Last Straw (Quest) Bethany will arrive at the city in time to witness the start of the war. She will find Hawke and apologize for her earlier attitude and thank Hawke for saving her life when asked about her role as a warden her only reply is "I'm not a Grey Warden, I'm your sister". She will naturally want to side with the mages, but will still rejoin the party if Hawke sides with the templars.
Friendship and Rivalry Edit
- See the approval page for more information.
Friendship with Bethany can generally be earned through acts of kindness, by siding with mages or by supporting family.
Rivalry with Bethany can generally be earned by choosing aggressive responses, by siding against mages or by exploiting Fereldans.
Mark of the Assassin
- Main article: Companion armor
An upgrade for Bethany's companion armor, Hawke's Pinions, is available in Act 1:
Companion armor upgrade
+10% magic resistance, in the Estate Vault during the Birthright quest. +10% magic resistance
Bethany specific gear
Damage: 5 fire damage
(7 per second) - Bethany's initial staff
+11% fire damage
+11% cold damage
+5% magic resistance
Improves with level-up - Requires Mage Item Pack DLC
+14% spirit damage
+23% healing by this character
+9% damage resistance
- Requires Mage Item Pack II DLC
Damage: 1.7 + 1.85 * LVL fire damage
(2.3 + 2.52 * LVL per second)
+(1 + 0.1 * LVL) magic
+(10 + 0.25 * LVL)% fire damage
+(10 + 0.25 * LVL)% cold damage
+(0.1 * DMG) fire damage across 2m - Requires Legacy DLC
+2 mana/stamina regeneration rate
+(8 + 0.2 * LVL)% fire damage
+(8 + 0.2 * LVL)% cold damage - Requires Mark of the Assassin DLC
(Provided that Bethany is still alive in Act 3):If she was taken to the Circle of Magi then re-joins Hawke's party during The Last Straw in Act 3 (or for the DLC), she will be equipped with Circle Mage Robes and
Damage: 41 nature damage
(56 per second)
+15% fire damage
+15% cold damage
If she became a member of the Grey Wardens then re-joins Hawke's party during The Last Straw in Act 3 (or for the DLC), she will be equipped with Grey Warden Robes and
Damage: 41 fire damage
(56 per second)
+15% fire damage
+15% cold damage
In both cases, the three previously unused armor upgrade slots will appear to be filled in Bethany's inventory screen icon, providing: +(2 + 0.2 * LVL) magic, +(4 + 4 * LVL) health, and +10 mana/stamina regeneration. These do not need to be found, and are actually regular armor stats. The two staves have identical appearances, damage, and stats.
- Main article: Bethany Hawke/Dialogue
- (Bethany's first line in the game after she examines a dead Hurlock) "Scouts... we will have to fight them sooner or later."
- (Said to Wesley after he tells her to keep her distance, knowing she's an apostate) "Well, the Maker has a sense of humor. Darkspawn, and now a templar. I thought they all abandoned Lothering!"
- (Said if you allow Bethany to join you after she returns in act three, female Hawke version) "The Hawke Sisters together again, just like old times."
- (During the quest The First Sacrifice, when agreeing to Jethann's services) "Maker's breath! Can't you do this when I'm not around?"
- Jennifer Hepler wrote Bethany for Dragon Age II.
- In the beginning of the game, when Varric is telling the legend of the Champion, Bethany has much larger breasts, a subtle reference to Varric's tendency to exaggerate.
- Bethany is the second cousin of the human from the Magi Origin, regardless of whether or not they are the Warden, through her mother, whose maiden name is Amell.
- Bethany is excited about the possibility of her mother Leandra reclaiming the Amell estate, however she never gets the chance to actually live in it.
- In her codex page, it is revealed that she was a lot closer to the eldest sibling than Carver. It can also be noted that she was afraid of the idea of being a mage unlike Hawke who (if a mage) embraces the idea of being a mage faster than her, as Bethany wanted a normal life for herself.
- Bethany and Carver are the only companions who do not have their own unique specialization; instead they use the Force Mage and Templar specializations, respectively, from the beginning of Act 2. In Act 1, they remain un-specialized.
- If asked why her parents protected her from the Circle so much she will reveal that her mother had a cousin who lost many children to the Circle, and if the Warden was a Human Mage (imported save) she will also state that one of the children became the Hero of Ferelden and saved them.
- Leandra reveals that she gave "eighteen years of loving and feeding, and raising" to Bethany, implying that she is eighteen years old at the time of The Destruction of Lothering. Which would make her 19 at Act 1, 22 at Act 2, and 25 at Act 3.
- When approaching the Qunari compound at the Kirkwall Docks, Bethany will mention that one of them killed her best friends back in Lothering, which is a reference to Sten from Dragon Age: Origins.
- In the Chantry, Bethany may mention Leliana, saying she misses her telling stories in Lothering.
- It's possible during the Deep Roads Expedition, that when Bethany becomes infected with the Taint, her face will morph to another existing face preset. However, this new face bears the taint markings. Similar to Wesley (Aveline's late husband) after he was infected.
- Bethany does not have the option to learn spells from the Primal tree.
- Bethany's hairstyle and skintone will change automatically depending on Hawke's skintone, but her hair will always be black, regardless of Hawke's hair color.
- David Gaider said that if he could write another Dragon Age comic, it would be dedicated to Bethany starting with that scene in Lothering and ending as a fleeing Circle Mage. He mentioned that he wanted her to adventure with Sebastian Vael in Starkhaven, and maybe Nathaniel Howe.
See also Edit
- ↑ Laidlaw, Mike. "Family Resemblance: Anything more than skin tone?". BioWare Social Network. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- ↑ Gaider, David. "Is Hawke related to the mage warden?". BioWare Social Network. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- ↑ David Gaider on Tumblr, "On Speculative Flights of Fancy."