Dragon Age: Origins Edit
In the last room of Avernus' tower, The Warden will find Avernus himself. After telling him what the Demon has asked The Warden to do, Avernus proposes a second solution... to help him kill the demon possessed body of Warden-Commander Sophia Dryden and help him seal the tear in the Veil. He can still be betrayed once The Warden, Avernus, and Sophia are in the same room. After either Sophia or Avernus has been killed, the other will take you to the next room and begin the ritual to close the tear in the Veil. Even if The Warden chooses Avernus to close the tear, he can still be killed once the ritual is complete. This yields the Robes of Avernus. He can also be persuaded to bow to the Warden's justice and thus can be executed without a fight after the Veil has been sealed. Alternatively he can be allowed to continue his research up in the tower, either as he was before, or ordered by the player to follow ethical constraints.
If he is questioned for details about the rebellion, he will mention that they specifically sought the aid of the then-current Teyrn Cousland, but were betrayed. If the Warden is a Human Noble, it is possible to exclaim that this is your family. Avernus will then dryly inform you that you lost many relatives that day and that he saw the head of Teyrn Cousland "on a table, with an apple in his mouth." Apparently Arland decided to butcher as many Couslands as necessary to ensure the remainder would stay in line.If you allow Levi to question Avernus about Sophia Dryden, he will express his belief that (prior to her possession, at least) she was the very best of the Wardens, and a hero, but that there is unfortunately no proof to be found that could help clear his family's name.
Dragon Age II Edit
If the party did not kill Sophia and you side with Avernus against her, he will cast two fireballs on her, which will badly injure your party; he will then take you to seal the Veil immediately, so prepare potions to survive the fight.
Once the Veil is sealed, you can still choose to kill him, with no apparent negative result. The Warden may also choose to endorse his research and allow him to continue, or may command him to research only ethical ways to help the Wardens. Avernus says that he is near a breakthrough and will report any successes to you. No specific benefit or following quest has been reported.
Each time Avernus transits to a different map, you can Steal from him again.
- Avernus: Blood magic comes from demons; they could counter every bit of lore I possess. But the darkspawn taint, that is alien to them. And it has power.
- Warden: "You practiced blood magic on the nobles?"
- Avernus: "Of course. To nudge people, to keep our secret safe."
- Warden: "I'm debating whether I should let you live."
- Shale: "But the magus is a Warden, as well. Is he not an ally?"
- Avernus: "Your golem is astute. You should be helping me, not issuing idle threats."
- Leliana: "Careful, this... man has dabbled in matters forbidden by the Maker... he may look frail but don't trust him."
- Avernus: "So the Maker told you that, did he? Short-sighted men have forbidden my research, not any god. Enough."