Complete the Speak to Fenris quest to start this quest.
Take Fenris to the Hanged Man during the day (if you go there without Fenris then he will be a mandatory companion).
A scene will trigger with his sister. When it becomes clear she is behaving strangely, it's revealed that she sold Fenris out to Danarius, who at that point enters the Hanged Man.
- If you tell Danarius to simply take Fenris then Fenris begs you not to do this (he says "I know we're not friends", even if you are in a romance with him).
- If you support Fenris ("He's no one's slave") then you will get Fenris: friendship (+10) (if Aveline is in the party then Aveline: friendship (+10)).
- If you choose to negotiate an arrangement, you will get Fenris: rivalry (+10).
- If you tell Danarius that it's time to die then there is no approval change.
If you did not let Danarius take Fenris then you'll be attacked. There are three waves of enemies (slavers, demons, corpses) and finally Danarius. The scene afterwards will give some insight into Fenris' past.
If Hawke gives Fenris back to Danarius, a letter will appear at the Hawke Estate from Danarius. The letter states that they have returned to Tevinter and Fenris's memory has been wiped again, now returned to his "compliant self". Oddly, the letter mentions some reward, though after opening the letter, none is included.
If you side with Fenris, then he will kill Danarius himself and then confront Varania. She says she betrayed Fenris because Danarius promised to make her a magister.
- Let Fenris kill her:
- Convince Fenris not to kill her. ("Fenris, stop.")
- If Varric is in the party he tells Fenris that "this is the last thing you want to do" (in reference to his own experience with his brother, Bartrand).
- If Hawke killed Bethany during the Deep Roads expedition, they will use this to convince Fenris ("I know what it's like to kill your own sister").
- If you tell Fenris that she is his sister Fenris: rivalry (+10).
- If you tell Fenris that she is not responsible Fenris: rivalry (+15).
- If they are in the party:
Afterwards, Fenris says he feels alone.
- If you question Fenris blaming magic Fenris: rivalry (+10).
- If you select "You have friends" and Anders is in the party he will comment "Not me." If Aveline is in the party, she repeats that Fenris has friends.
If Varania is allowed to live, she reveals that Fenris, in fact, did wish for his lyrium markings and had competed against others for them. When he had been chosen for his future position he was granted a boon, which he used to free his mother and sister from slavery. She then states that "freedom was no boon", and leaves after telling Fenris that she felt he received the better end of the bargain.
Completing "Alone" is required to trigger the companion quest Questioning Beliefs after the friendship/rivalry score is maxed out.
- 1400 XP (fight and quest completion)
- Cuirass of the Centurion heavy chestpiece
- Eye of the Storm staff
- 5 (if you return Fenris to Danarius - None if you support Fenris)
- pcps3xbox360 After you hand Fenris over to Danarius, go right back into the Hanged Man and you'll go back to the cut scene with Fenris again. You can keep doing this for 5 Sovereigns and friendship/rivalry points. Oddly enough, you do not get to fight Danarius if you decide to side with Fenris (and you cannot leave The Hanged Man as the exit is inaccessible). Also, Fenris' mansion will disappear from the world map and will no longer be accessible, but he will still be available as a party member.
- More to the point, after handing Fenris over to Danarius and receiving his letter, a quest marker will remain above your writing desk for the remainder of the game. After each time you enter your estate, you will be forced to go through Alone again upon entering the Hanged Man. In short, if you want Fenris to leave send him away after A Bitter Pill to avoid this bug.
- ps3xbox360 It is important to not go to the Hanged Man without Fenris after accepting this quest, as it can break the quest and make meeting his sister impossible. If this does happen, the only way for the quest to work is to go to the Hanged Man through Lowtown.