There are two ways to get access to the Dark Foundry depending on whether Gascard is alive or not:
- If Gascard DuPuis is alive, you can find him in Darktown. Tell him to perform the ritual. Perhaps reflecting the gravity of the situation, Fenris and Anders will let this one instance of blood magic pass without comment or consequence. Sebastian, however, still disapproves Sebastian: rivalry (+5). If you turn down Gascard's offer to use blood magic, Sebastian approves of your decision Sebastian: friendship (+5) and Merrill disapproves Merrill: rivalry (+10) . It is still possible to accept Gascard's offer after turning him down. After the instant transition to the Dark Foundry, Gascard will accompany your party through the area.
- Certain dialogue choices made regarding Gascard in the quest Prime Suspect may result in Gascard's death at your hands or execution by the Templars, rendering this option unavailable. If you cannot find Gascard in Darktown, speak to Moira in the Gallows and she will reveal that DuPuis was executed. Gamlen then becomes your only aid.
- An alternative solution which will always be available is to meet Gamlen in Lowtown at night. Speak to the Urchin and either pay Varric: friendship (+5) or intimidate him Varric: rivalry (+5) to obtain information. Then follow the blood trail to the Dark Foundry entrance.
If Gascard still lives and you have performed the blood magic ritual to track down the location of the killer, Gascard reveals his ulterior motives and will betray you and take the side of the killer in the upcoming battle unless you are a diplomatic or aggressive Hawke, in which case you can talk him into helping you or intimidate him into assisting you. If neither of those options is taken and Varric is present, he immediately kills Gascard.
When you arrive at the foundry, follow the blood trail to a trapdoor. As you battle through the area you will come across notes that begin to paint a picture of what's happening. This picture begins to become clear after the battle in the living quarters.
At the end of the next hallway, a cut scene plays where you confront the killer. During the fight, the killer will summon swarms of abominations, Shades, and Undead; plus three possessed women in the form of desire demons, which you must destroy in order for him to lower the shield he generates around himself. You will not be given time to loot the bodies after Quentin dies.
- If Gascard DuPuis is with you in the killer's lair for the meeting with Quentin, there are three possible outcomes:
- If Varric is in your party, he will intervene and kill Gascard.
- Without Varric you can persuade Gascard to turn away from his current path via a diplomacy (Diplomatic personality only) option. If successful he will fight alongside you in the battle with Quentin. There is also a star option that becomes available with an aggressive personality that will convince Gascard to help you.
- If Gascard feels disinclined to assist Hawke, he will join Quentin for the final battle.
- Unlocks Following the Qun and The Captain's Condolences, a companion quest.
- The Gloves of the Overseer, Gloves of Enasalin, or Stonehammer Gauntlets are in a chest in the killer's lair, before the final encounter, depending on Hawke's class.
- In the Killer's Lair there is a letter to the killer from someone in the Circle of Magi, congratulating him on his discoveries and indicating that the writer has placed certain books on magic in a drop-off place for Quentin to obtain. The letter is signed "O."
- No matter which option you choose above (with Gascard's help or without), there is no way to save your mother from her unfortunate fate. Before Leandra dies, she tells Hawke that she is proud of him/her.
- If a companion was romanced, they will come to console you in your bedroom at the Estate excluding Sebastian. (This happens after the conversation with Gamlen) If no companions are romanced, Aveline will come saying she has heard the news and that you know where to find her. In any case, The Captain's Condolences will initiate.
- 1 and 750 XP (quest completion).
- If you recruited Gascard in Darktown, and he survives, you can talk to him after in Darktown. Bringing Aveline or Fenris to interrogate him proves enlightening. Aveline is given preference over Fenris, regardless of friendship or romance status. If you let him go here, Isabela: rivalry (+10), if you kill him Isabela: friendship (+10).
- If you are seeking the Supplier achievement, be sure to grab the Orichalcum in the Killer's Lair.
- If you bring both Aveline and Fenris, Aveline will take precedence for interrogating Gascard.
- The title of the quest may be a reference to the novel All That Remains by Patricia Cornwell, also involving the hunt for a serial killer.
- pcps3xbox360 If you complete this quest by going to Gascard DuPuis in Darktown instead of going to Lowtown, you might still see Gamlen and the Urchin in Lowtown after the quest. Talking to the Urchin starts the dialogue and suggests that the quest has been started. It also gives rivalry points depending on your actions. The quest immediately says it's completed afterwards. However, the completed quest text will now read "Follow the trail of blood", instead of noting Leandra's death.
- pcxbox360 Before talking to Leandra, DuPuis' disembodied voice may offer condolences despite you having killed him.
- pc This quest is susceptible to the "Loading..." bug that some others are. If the game is killed and the resumed from a point after the combat starts, Gascard shows up with the party even if he was killed by Varric. He does nothing, cannot be talked to and is gone for good once the cut scene loads correctly.
- Moira may be spoken to about Leandra's disappearance even if the quest has already been completed.