The Abandoned Thaig is an old thaig at the west end of Sundermount in the Free Marches. It becomes accessible in Act 2 via a cave entrance marked "Recently Opened Passage". It is renamed to Hidden Dungeon in Act 3.
The thaig contains one of the Evil Tomes of Tarohne from the Forbidden Knowledge quest, and perhaps in consequence has become infested with undead and demons. There are also some stone golems and a Nexus Golem, presumably left behind when the thaig was abandoned.
Quests EditForbidden Knowledge (Act 2) "South-Song" Gerralt's Corpse (Act 2)
Notable items EditEvil Tome
(Act 2), on the other side of the room from the Nexus Golem. This item is related to the Forbidden Knowledge quest. Roadhammer
Damage: 32 physical damage
(52 per second)
+10% physical damage
25% chance to reduce attack speed
25% chance to reduce movement speed (Act 3) Vir Atish'an
Requires: 29 magic
+13% healing by this character (Act 3)
The battle of the central room is divided into 5 phases, each with many simple enemies and 1 boss except the last two phases. If you're too slow to kill all the enemies of a phase, the next phase can begin before the end of the previous one.
- The first phase consists of one rage demon and four shades.
- The second phase consists of one desire demon, two abominations, and two shades.
- The third phase consists of one rage demon and three shades.
- The fourth phase consists of two abominations and two shades.
- The fifth phase consists of one arcane horror and one revenant.
No matter soloing or in full party, it is better to ignore all normal-rank enemies and concentrate fire on boss-ranked ones in the first three waves. Before the fifth phase initiates, lure all remaining opponents into the gate as choke point and eliminate them with area-of-effect spells/talents (Gravitic Ring plus Firestorm, upgraded Cone of Cold and Bursting Arrow, etc.). If the revenant spawns before the horde perishes, make sure to interrupt its healing aura-alike talent with Horror or Dispel Magic.
- In Act 3, as you enter you will encounter skeleton archers and corpses and, in the hallway, one arcane horror and one revenant along with several skeleton archers and corpses. There will be no enemies in the area with the Nexus Golem.
- pcxbox360 (1.04): There seems to be a bug that after the end of the long 5 phased battle explained above, no XP will be given as reward.
- pc(1.04): All 5 waves of enemies in the center room can spawn at the same time.