The Hanged Man (night)
She first appears when you finish your first raid on an outlaw group's base (such as the Sharp's Highwaymen on Lowtown) once you go outside. At first, she doesn't mention who she is working for, but only instructs Hawke and his/her party to keep safe the streets at night. In turn, she will reward them for their services.
The locations to these bases, written down on a note, are dropped by the corresponding group of criminals once spotted and fought off successfully for several times. This can be done by cleaning every corner and street of the whole district on one night, then coming back on another night; only requiring one or two more encounters.
Additional encounters may be available after receiving the note with the location of the base. Continue through the district or come back another night before clearing out the base for additional XP.
After Kirkwall is purged of all hostile elements in Act 3, the Friend thanks (and reveals to) Hawke on behalf of the enigmatic Friends of Red Jenny, rewards Hawke with additional gold and Woodsman's Ire, then walks out.
Pier Pressure (Docks), Sharp Little Pinpricks (Lowtown), Night Lies (Hightown)
The Lowdown (Docks), Hometown Breed (Lowtown), Ladies' Lights Out (Hightown)
Reining It In (Docks), Kind of Want (Lowtown), Red Run Streets (Hightown)
Note: All of these quests are done only during nighttime.
- It's best to turn in each group's missions individually for 6 and 1500 XP total.
- 2 and 500 XP each time you turn in a quest.
- 3 and 750 XP if you turn in 2 of the quests at once
- 4 and 1000 XP if you turn in all 3 quests at once.
- pcps3xbox360 If the game slows down immediately after turning in the last quest (due to a brief pause, lag or even entering companion quest dialogue with Varric Tethras or Isabela) then two Woodsman's Ire axes will be awarded by A Friend, in addition to another 5 (total 12 ) and 800 XP (total 2100 XP).
- pc During Hawke's dialogue, after finishing one of the quests, if the game is saved and then loaded, he will receive an additional 1 and 250XP. This can be exploited for infinite XP and by quicksaving right after the XP gain is visible then quickloading (tested on v1.04).