This NPC can be found wandering alone in the vast sands of the Hissing Wastes. She speaks only in the Chant of Light and appears in areas that, according to companion dialogue, it should be impossible for her to have reached so quickly from her previous location.
Each time that she is located, she will speak a few lines of the chant and then stop talking to the Inquisitor all together. If she is found four times, she will disappear, abandoning her form and revealing herself to have been a benevolent spirit. Solas will comment, "Ah, of course," but provide no further explanation.
She also leaves behind a lootable area that yields 125-200 gold as well as a unique bow:Perseverance
Inscribed in an unusual script: "Long have I endured, as the world has endured. Though time has worn the skies, it shall not reduce me, for I am eternity." Touching the wood gives a sense of devotion... of unknown source.
Requires: Level 15
+4% Critical Chance
+48% Flanking Damage Bonus
- Though there are no specific spawn locations for the Chanter—making it difficult to locate her multiple times—the player can save and reload upon finding her initially to prompt her into speaking the next line in the sequence. Doing this after every new line of dialogue allows the player to receive the bow while only having to find the NPC once.
- It is not said what type of spirit this being is, but given the form she chose to take as well as the devotion spoken of in the bow's description, it is possible that she may be a Spirit of Faith.
First Encounter Edit
- Inquisitor: Greetings.
- ...: Ours shall be the burden of knowledge, to take into the earth and prove us worthy.
- Sera: That's the Chant of Light. What? I know things.
- Dorian: That's from the Chant of Light. Is that a thing? Do people go about reciting from it like that?
- Varric: That's the Chant, right? Do I...respond or something?
- Cassandra: I did not expect to find a pilgrim here. A chanter, even less.
- Blackwall: A chanter? What's she doing here?
- Cole: All right.
- Vivienne: How unusual. A chanter away from the Grand Cathedral.
- ...: (if any of the above companion dialogues were triggered) The righteous shall carry the Maker's word to every corner of His house.
- Sera: Have at it, weirdy.
- Varric: All right. Well. Good luck.
- Cole: Good. That will help. Goodbye.
Second Encounter Edit
- Inquisitor: Hello again.
- ...: All men are the work of our Maker's hand, from the lowest slaves to the highest kings.
- Cassandra: How did you get over here so quickly?
- Blackwall: Weren't you somewhere else a few minutes ago?
- Iron Bull: How'd you get over here so fast?
- ...: (if any of the above companion dialogues were triggered) Blessed are those who walk in the sight of the Maker.
- Iron Bull: So the blessing let's you walk faster? Could be useful.
Third Encounter Edit
- ...: Rest at the Maker's right hand, and be forgiven.
- Inquisitor: How are you here? Are you following me?
- ...: The nations that deny the Maker are as a child that denies a mother.
- Dorian: That's rather condescending for someone going about spewing proverbs.
- Vivienne: She cannot be as harmless as she looks.
- Solas: I do not think she means us harm, but something is not right here.
Final Encounter Edit
- ...: You have found we. Take this gift. Do not falter. In the absence of light, shadows thrive.
- Sera: What the--what?
- Dorian: (laughing) Oh, you spirits are so crazy.
- Varric: What was that?
- Cassandra: She was a spirit? (Inquisitor: I'm not sure.)
- Blackwall: Wasn't expecting that.
- Vivienne: That "woman" was a spirit?
- Solas: Ah, of course.
- Iron Bull: The fuck?
Related Codex Edit
Codex entry: A Journal on Dwarven Ruins - See Part 5.
See also EditPerseverance Schematic
Damage: 24 Metal
Offense: 20 Leather
Offense: 12 Metal
Offense: 6 Leather
Masterwork: 1 Masterwork